A Shattering Wine Glass at 10,000 Frames Per Second

Ignore the hype -this video shows a vine glass shattering using the system I built.  Note the incredible deflection before it shatters explosively.

Shatter Sessions TV from Creature on Vimeo.

Posted: 5 years 4 months ago by majenko #11062
majenko's Avatar
That is truly impressive. Well done.
Posted: 5 years 4 months ago by Jon Chandler #11091
Jon Chandler's Avatar
I can't believe that there haven't been a ton of comments on this! It is just so awesome to watch!

Doing it live is bit more dramatic. As you get the frequency tuned in, the glass really moves (but you can't really see how it's moving). As it really gets going, you can hear a tone produced by the vibration of the glass and the beat frequency between the excitation frequency and the glass resonance frequency. You know it's about to shatter but the exact instant is always a surprise.
Posted: 5 years 4 months ago by Jon Chandler #11129
Jon Chandler's Avatar
Thank you Graham for getting the video to embed properly!

I wish the video was a little closer to raw but the colors are kind of neat. This was a fun project, with some frustrations along the way.

I hope its debute went well tonight. My allergies have turned into a fever so I couldn't go.
Posted: 5 years 4 months ago by Jon Chandler #11137
Jon Chandler's Avatar
The project was a success at its unveiling last night with more than 30 wine glasses shattered to bits!

Based on what I've seen on the internet, I wonder if this is a record?
Posted: 5 years 4 months ago by majenko #11138
majenko's Avatar

Based on what I've seen on the internet, I wonder if this is a record?

You should contact the GBR and find out - maybe you could get yourself in there.
Posted: 5 years 4 months ago by Jon Chandler #11144
Jon Chandler's Avatar
From the Seattle Times

Shattering glass with sound
Posted: 5 years 4 months ago by Graham Mitchell #11149
Graham Mitchell's Avatar
Thank you Graham for getting the video to embed properly!
No worries at all. There was an issue with Vimeo support in the forum as well - fixed.

I'm sure you were vicariously impressed with the debute given the Seattle Times write-up Sorry to hear you couldn't make it!

Forum Activity